As early as 1827, Catherine McAuley, a wealthy heiress in Dublin, Ireland, began caring for women and children in need . . . providing safe housing, teaching the uneducated and visiting the ill.
The first Sisters of Mercy came to Cedar Rapids from the Iowa towns of Davenport and Independence, where communities had been established in 1869 by sisters from Chicago.
For over a century, the Sisters of Mercy's home in Cedar Rapids, Iowa has been on the historic Mound Farm hill. To continue with their presence on the hill, the Sisters are renovating Sacred Heart Convent to adapt to today's generation of Sisters in retirement.
The Sisters of Mercy are celebrating their founding 175 years ago by Catherine McAuley. The Cedar Rapids Gazette published a 16-page special section on April 21, 2007 featuring the Sisters of Mercy history and accomplishments throughout the world and in the Cedar Rapids community.
See where and how the Sisters from the Cedar Rapids Regional Community are spreading their works of mercy.
Mercy Works is a quarterly publication which highlights ministries, activities, and accomplishments of Sisters of Mercy Cedar Rapids Regional Community.
The Sisters of Mercy are a member of Sisters United News (SUN), a group comprised of 12 women religious congregations in the Upper Mississippi Valley dedicated to promoting and publicizing the values of Catholic Sisters living the Gospel in today's world.
For more information about SUN log onto the SUN Media Center at www.sistersunitednews.org .